Fireblade Funserver

Dont forget to vote for rewards - Homepage is fireblade.2hell.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fireblade Funserver

Dont forget to vote for rewards - Homepage is fireblade.2hell.com

Fireblade Funserver

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fireblade Funserver

WoW Funserver Forum - Fireblade

Welcome to Fireblade Funserver - enjoy playing on the server!

+7
Storken
veemo
Yuski
Saveon
lintha
Stianso91
alord
11 posters

Your Class & You

alord
    alord
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Character sheet
    Fireblade: 70

Your Class & You Empty The Hunter and you!

Post by alord Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

This is my first guide on all the essentials on making a hunter

Stats!
    Agility,Stamina,Attack Power,Hit rating,Crit Rating,Haste rating and Intellect
    <--Good
    Strength,spell power,mana per 5,armor penetration and Expertise<---Bad

Spec!

Survival!
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cZ0eVooZx0ci0cIhedAhsd
    My personal favorite and the one I raid with on my hunter

Marksman
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cxbZzeVoRhzGIsguAox00b
    Still a good spec,seen many a hunter top charts with it

Beast Mastery
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cxdMzxgRfu0est0eMoZx00b
    not the best spec nowadays,but it makes for a good Soloing secondary spec if u get dual spec

Rotations

Survial
    Black arrow/Explosive shot/Aimed shot/serpent sting/steady shot until explosive shot or aimed shot are off cd
    Remember to renew serpent sting aswell

Marksman

Serpent sting/Chimera Shot/Aimed Shot/Arcane Shot/Steady shot until the other shots are off cd
    CHimera shot renews your sting so no need to keep spamming serpent sting

Beast mastery

Like I stated Earlier this spec hasnt been used much since 09'....Mess around with this spec and see what works for YOU!

Thank you,im Alordd and this is my guide!
    Stianso91
    Stianso91
    Knight/Stone Guard
    Knight/Stone Guard

Character sheet

Your Class & You Empty Holy Priest & You

Post by Stianso91 Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Holy Priest & You

So you want to make a priest for healing in raids, thats also mana efficient? Well just follow this guide.

Buy Whitemane's Chapeau from the Emblem or Heroism Quartermaster. Then buy the legs, chest, feet, and gloves from the T7.5 vendor. Set you specs like tjis

Your Class & You Holy_p10
    Then get items from regular vendors with good Intellect and Spirit.

You need to buy +10 Intellect Gems from the 1st vendor on page 4, it's named "Brilliant Lionseye"

Let me know if this guide helped you!
    lintha
    lintha
    Sergeant Major/First Sergeant

Character sheet

Your Class & You Empty Re: Holy Priest & You

Post by lintha Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Holy Priest & You

You can also get Jewel crafting ( or find a Jewel Crafter) and make the +16 intelect gems Razz And also the discipline spec is also a good way to go. I think on retail some people were saying its good for raids, but i cant remember XD been a while since i went in instances on retail...
    Saveon
    Saveon

Character sheet

Your Class & You Empty Your Class And You

Post by Saveon Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Merged all "Class and you" topics into one topic.
    Yuski
    Yuski
    Scout/Private
    Scout/Private

Character sheet

Your Class & You Empty Re: Your Class & You

Post by Yuski Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Just a notice too hunters. You should stack up on armor pent. read in a guide that its one of the main factor for dps.
    alord
    alord
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Character sheet

Post by alord Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Yuski wrote:Just a notice too hunters. You should stack up on armor pent. read in a guide that its one of the main factor for dps.
    That would be for MM... and that is still a certain MM spec, not the one I posted.
    veemo

Post by veemo Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

Stats!
    Agility,Stamina,Attack Power,Hit rating,Crit Rating,Haste rating and Intellect<--Good
    Haha guy u ever played feral druid? So theres 1 thing i need to tell you ARP is you life!!!!
    i got 1.3k arp on my drood and i do 15k dps on boss only 5k without my arp Wink
    Arp is most useful stat in wow from 3.3.x , each melee class stacks arp Wink
    alord
    alord
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Character sheet

Post by alord Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm

veemo wrote:
    Stats!
    Agility,Stamina,Attack Power,Hit rating,Crit Rating,Haste rating and Intellect<--Good
    Haha guy u ever played feral druid? So theres 1 thing i need to tell you ARP is you life!!!!
    i got 1.3k arp on my drood and i do 15k dps on boss only 5k without my arp Wink
    Arp is most useful stat in wow from 3.3.x , each melee class stacks arp Wink
    Hunters aren't Melee DPS my friend.
    Storken
    Storken
    Corporal/Grunt
    Corporal/Grunt

Character sheet

Post by Storken Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 am

you need Arp as a hunter
    Snowknight
    Snowknight
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Snowknight Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am

Well, alord your Guid for hunters totaly fail tbh, i'll been playing retail hunter since start or Tbc, well, i'm way to lazy for make a hunter guid right now, but hear here.

Arp = Awesome for mm hunter, Agility stack = Survial, well mm can do a okey damage to, = Agility stack,
    Well your Rotations are kinda lame to, its not a good setup, and btw wtb some more glyph in the guid, that is needed to for a great dps from a Hunter, well, if you want me to make a true and real updated hunter guid, then tell, but as it seems now, i'm not playing that much fireblade anymore
    alord
    alord
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Character sheet

Post by alord Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 am

Snowknight wrote:Well, alord your Guid for hunters totaly fail tbh, i'll been playing retail hunter since start or Tbc, well, i'm way to lazy for make a hunter guid right now, but hear here.

Arp = Awesome for mm hunter, Agility stack = Survial, well mm can do a okey damage to, = Agility stack,
    Well your Rotations are kinda lame to, its not a good setup, and btw wtb some more glyph in the guid, that is needed to for a great dps from a Hunter, well, if you want me to make a true and real updated hunter guid, then tell, but as it seems now, i'm not playing that much fireblade anymore
    I suppose I should upfate anyway, and tbh... Im not a very good guide maker... In my old guild we had an awesome hunter named Zarimas, and whenever anyone asked me for help it kinda studder for a sec and say, Ask zar... He'll know
    Alexeng
    Scout/Private
    Scout/Private

Character sheet

Post by Alexeng Thu May 27, 2010 6:46 am

veemo wrote:Rogue & You

Hey in this guide i ll tell you how to max up your rogue to get 95% dodge or highest dps !=d
    Starting:
    As fast as you start u should buy 2/5 pieces of t7.5(legs & chest)+ gladiator shoulders (they got more agi then t7.5).
    The badges you got from starter q should be used at herosim vendor to buy t8 gloves and head token(the guy to whom you can give tokens is standing at the stairs)
    You should also get all + agi things from the starter vendors (moar agi the better Very Happy )
    Speccing
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fZ0gGd0cZfMckIhdzGuAckt
    It's best spec you can get ( if you haven't got 95% dodge without all talents,which is kinda impossible now Crying or Very sad )
    Geming:
    Socket 10agi gems to each socket (they are at last page of 1st gem vendor)
    If you made everything as i said your rogue is ready to solo some dungeons!=D
    Rotation:
    Riposte(if you can use it)->Ghostly Strike->hemmorhage
    Combos rotation;
    Slice & Dice ->Rapture->expose armor->Eviscerate
    Ok, thats seriously not what i would have choosen for a rogue, i have been playing rogue on retail and i can just tell you that combat spec is the best for dungeons/raids, your spec is more PvP. Also this spec (if you know the rogue class) should give you a start with 2-3k dps. And i cant blame you on anything else than the gladiator shoulders instead of t7.5 when it comes to gear, you dont need agility that much and with my gear (almost no agility/dodge enchants, no agility gems) i still got 95% dodge.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fhe0oeZMgVb0cxqMu0gRx:h0NVMc

There you got my spec, with good gear you will easily stay at over 5k dps the whole fight. Also dont forget to replace agility gems with ArP and AP gems instead, half of each.

Rotation:
    Sinister Strike until 5 combo points
    Slice & Dice if i dont have it or it is at less than 3 seconds
    Eviscerate
    Adrenaline Rush when i can
    Blade Flurry when i can

Starting a boss battle:
    Using garrote
    Getting a 5 point slice and dice.
    Activating Adrenaline Rush and Blade Flurry.
    then i just start using the normal rotation.

Notes:
    NEVER, EVER IN YOUR LIFE use cheap shot/kidney shot against a boss! Garrote is much better as some bosses (all blizzard bosses) are immune to stun effects and then you dont get your 2 combo points!
    Dont wait for adrenaline rush and blade flurry to recharge before starting a new fight and when in the middle of a battle, dont wait for 1 of them so you can use both at the same time, you will just lose alot of over-time dps on this!
    Never forget that this is a sword/axe spec, and use a faster weapon in your off-hand if you can find any.
    Use Instant Poison IX instead of deadly poison, its much better.
    One last thing, do not spec on Killing Spree even if you think it would be good, it isnt working and you will just lose a talent point you can use on vile poisons to get another 10% poison damage Smile
    Saveon
    Saveon

Character sheet

Post by Saveon Thu May 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Ok after seeing the opposition to a few of the Guides, I have come up with a solution. For anyone who disagrees with a guide. If you write a new better guide for that class, and at minimum 3 people vote in agreement that your guide is better for that class and that spec, (I can see your IP Address so don't make new accounts to vote for yourself), I will replace the old guide with the better one you write. If a minimum of 3 people vote to disagree, the existing guide will be kept. Avoid voting for yourself, if your guide is worth replacing an existing one you shouldn't need your own vote anyway.

Also, we still need an experienced Druid to provide more of a "Guide" to the Druid and You post by Hiler instead of just a talent tree. Talent Trees help, but they won't do a thing when you don't tell people how to use it.

UPDATE: A poll has been added to the top of this topic. I will change it to allow members to vote to keep or replace guides. When the pole reaches 3 Agree or 3 Disagree, it will be taken down.

Current Pole: Is Alexeng's Rogue Guide better than Veemo's?
    Kalopae
    Kalopae
    Corporal/Grunt
    Corporal/Grunt

Character sheet

Post by Kalopae Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:47 am

kalopae's Rogue Guide

Races

Choosing a race for a Rogue can be hard, because all 10 of the races can become Rogues except Taurens and Draenei. There are “better” races than others (Human for Alliance, Orc and Undead for Horde), but any race is an alright pick and won’t make you useless by any extent.

Alliance

* Humans: They start with 3 Sword/Mace expertise making them already healthy Rogue candidates. Combine that with Perception (allowing you to see stealth easier) and Every Man for Himself (removes all movement impairing effects & effects that make you lose control of your character) and you have yourself a very, very strong race for a Rogue.
    * Gnomes: A “bad” choice going by racials, the only good Gnome racial is Escape Artist which is good for getting away from snares. Very small and hard to see while stealthed, which is a plus in PvP.
    * Dwarf: Stoneform can get rid of bleeds, poisons, and diseases which normally keep you out of stealth. Expertise with maces is increased by 5 which is really, really good. So it’s not a bad choice.
    * Night Elves: Shadowmeld is pretty good for a second “vanish”, Elusiveness is really good for PvP, and Quickness is great in solo content when you’re getting hit.

Horde

* Orcs: Blood Fury gives you 322 attack power for 15 seconds at level 80, while Axe Specialization gives you 5 expertise with axes and fist weapons making it one really good racial. Stuns role off an Orc with ease, making them one of the better PvE Rogue races.
    * Undead: Will of the Forsaken removes fear, sleep, and charm affects making this a good PvP choice. The other bonuses are “meh”.
    * Troll: Beserking is really good. Throwing Weapon Specialization is funny, but useless.
    * Blood Elf: You get a 15 energy heal and silence, but that’s just bleh.

Professions

Professions are a tough one, but we’ll try to go through them. The net attack power gain is standardized at about 64 (except Enchanting which gives 80).

* Inscription: You gain the best shoulder enchant, but Rogues have a very complicated geming/enchanting scheme. Inscription doesn’t give you a lot of flexibility.
    * Jewelcrafting: This is a really good choice because you can gem for hit, if you’re desperate for it, gem for armor pen, gem for agility, or make a ton of other awesome BoP gems that only you can equip. Think 42 extra agility which gives you attack power and crit, instead of just raw attack power. You can only use a limited number of JC BoP gems.
    * Alchemy: It’s good during low end raiding and for money making. You get the standard attack power boost when you’re flasked, a reusable flask/healing potion, and more. Mixology is awesome for saving money when a flask lasts 2 hours and you can make it yourself.
    * Enchanting: 80 attack power. It’s alright.
    * Leatherworking: Bracer enchant for about 64 attack power gain. So/so. You can make your own leveling gear though.
    * Blacksmithing: You gain two additional gem slots, which is a big boost when combined with Jewelcrafting.
    * Engineering: It’s a “meh” profession that’s good for neat trinkets and items, but you’re not going to find any amazing benefits here. Some Engineering only enchants give you like super speed and do apply stats, so it might be good for the fun of it.
    * Gathering Professions: As always, they’re good for the money.

Energy

Energy is the major resource for Rogues and required for the majority of Rogue abilities. Unlike Mana which comes in a large pool and regenerates slowly out of combat or Rage that generates based on damage taken/given, Energy regenerates at a constant of 10 Energy/1 second at a maximum (untalented) of 100 Energy. Rogues don’t need to drink anything to bring their Energy back as it will naturally regenerate at a relatively fast speed (10 seconds to go from 0 to full).

Managing Energy on the other hand is a difficult task. You have to plan around your energy regeneration so you can make the most of it. The worst thing to do in combat is to hit full Energy, so you should always be using abilities that require Energy. On the flipside, you want to make sure you have enough Energy in the future to do finishers or Slice & Dice or to stun/interrupt.

It is both a simple and complicated mechanic. As you level up you’ll begin to understand the intricacies of it.
    Dual Wield

Dual Wielding is the Rogue’s way of wielding weapons. You get to put one weapon in each hand (one-handed weapons only, only Warriors can dual wield two-handers). The trade off is that you have an additional 19% chance to miss with each weapon, putting your chance to miss at 24% (everyone has a 5% base to miss with melee) and that’s for even level’d creatures.

That’s alright, though, because of how fast and how often Rogues attack. You’ll find that the miss chance won’t start being a problem until you’re much higher and by then you’ll get gear to compensate for it (with hit rating, which increases your chance to hit with weapons and spells).

Abilities, like Sinister Strike, DO NOT suffer from the Dual Wield penalty. Only auto attacks (but they do suffer from the regular miss chance everyone has).

Weapon procs/poisons for instant abilities for main hand weapons will trigger when a weapon hits like normal. So you can get double the procs (some procs do not stack though) and you can poison both weapons and have both poisons trigger independently of one another. When using skills, like Sinister Strike, they will often hit with the main-hand weapon which trigger the procs affixed to the weapon in your main hand (you have a main-hand and off-hand weapon, the main-hand one is the one on the left in the equipment screen). Some skills hit with both weapons, in which case both weapons gain a chance to proc.

You will gain a 50% damage reduction for your off-hand weapon. This can be improved with talents.

You are going to want a very slow main-hand, because slower weapons do more damage with instant attacks which is dependent on energy regeneration which is static. Your off-hand can be as slow as you want it until level 49 when you get Combat Potency maxed, at which point you’ll want to get a fast off-hand so it hits more and you get more Combat Potency procs. Combat Potency gives you a static 20% chance to regenerate 15 energy (at rank 5). This isn’t normalized to weapon speed, so it’s a big thing to take advantage of.

If you’re not Combat or picking up Combat Potency, you can pretty much just get whatever speed off-hand you want that fits your talent build.
    Combo Points & Finishers

Combo Points are gained when abilities connect that grant combo points. For instance, if you hit with Sinister Strike you’ll gain 1 combo point. Combo points stack up to five and no more. Once you’re at five combo points you’ll be unable to gain anymore until you consume them.

Finishing moves use combo points as a resource. They require at least one combo point to be on the target in order for you to use them, but gain in power the more combo points that are on the target. Some finishers, like Slice & Dice, can be effective at 2-3 combo points while damage finishers are almost always the most effective at 5 combo points.

Combo points are stored on a target until you leave combat, the creature dies, they’re consumed by a finishing move (finishing moves always consume the full amount of combo points), or you begin to gain combo points on another creature.

Managing your energy and combo points is KEY to Rogue combat.
    Poisons

At level 20 Rogues can begin to apply poisons to their weapons. There are six poisons in the game: Crippling Poison, Mind-Numbing Poison, Instant Poison, Deadly Poison, Wound Poison, and Anesthic Poison. For more info on poisons see our poison guide and our Rogue Combat Guide.

Poisons do stack with enchants, but do not stack with temporary enchants. Rogues cannot poison other players weapons. Poisons are bought from the poison vendor.
    Statistics

* Strength: 1 AP (attack power) to 1 Strength. It’s a “good” stat, but doesn’t give critical strike, which makes it a “bad” stat for Rogues.
    * Agility: 83 AGI to 1% critical strike, 41 AGI to 1% dodge, 1 AP to 1 AGI. That’s a lot jammed into one stat, which makes this the primary stat for Rogues.
    * Stamina: 10 health to 1 Stamina. You don’t need to worry about this.
    * Intellect: Useless, except for learning weapon skills, and even then there is a massive debate about if it helps or not.
    * Spirit: Health regen. Nothing more.
    * Weapon Skill: You’ll miss unless this is maxed out equivalent to your level.
    * Attack Power: Determines the damage you’ll do with melee hits and abilities. DPS is generally considered to increase by 1 for every 14 attack power, except when dual wielding, in which case the untalented offhand will gain 1 DPS per 28 attack power.
    * Critical Strike: Your chance to gain a critical with melee attacks and abilities. At level 80 you’ll need 45 critical strike rating to gain a 1% to critical strike.
    * Hit: Your chance to hit, see the table below.
    * Haste: Decreases the time between attacks, but has no affect on how fast you can use abilities since Rogues and feral Druids have a general 1 second global cooldown compared to the normal 1.5 second global cooldown.
    * Expertise: Caps at 22 and determines your chance to be dodged or parried. Enemies CAN NOT dodge or parry from behind, so this mostly applies to situations where you have to be in front of the enemy.
    * Armor Penetration: Your ability to penetrate the armor of your enemies. A must have for raiding.

What’s the best stat? This depends on your spec. For combat Armor Penetration is #1, Agility is better than Attack Power, then you need to focus on hit for your yellow cap (abilities) and poison cap (spell cap), then it’s all about crit/expertise/etc. with Strength being the worst stat.

Mutilate builds work differently, with yellow hit being the most important with armor penetration lagging way behind. Subtlety is the same. Pure attack power is never better than agility. Focus your stats around your talent build, for instance Precision gives you a massive amount of hit for free so hit becomes less of a priority.

When leveling up, obviously whatever stats you can get are big hits, but aim for Agility and Stamina.

Hit Rating

The following assumes you’re dual wielding and are level 80. Hit rating isn’t important past being hit capped for special attacks (which you will WANT to do for raiding), but still remains a concern since white damage missing all the time can be annoying. Yellow damage is abilities, white damage is your auto attack, and poisons are your spell hit.

Yellow Damage: 262 (8%)
    White Damage: 885 (27%)
    Poison Damage: 445 (18%)

With the talent Precision this becomes:

Yellow Damage: 98 (3%)
    White Damage: 721 (22%)
    Poison Damage: 314 (12%)

Take away 33 hit rating for every 1% you gain through abilities (like Misery or Heroic Presence).

Rogues use Energy for their resource. It’s always refilling and provides a fast paced combat experience because Rogues rarely run out of Energy for more than 4 seconds. Managing that Energy is important, because you’ll ALWAYS want to have Slice and Dice up.

Slice and Dice (SnD) increases your melee attack speed by 40% and also increases energy regeneration if you have Combat Potency and does a lot of other things, like making any proc not normalized to weapon speed fire off a lot more. So it’s important that Slice and Dice is always up.

Cut to the Chase will refresh Slice and Dice to its 5 combo point length when you use Envenom or Eviscerate. This is important, because it will mean you’ll get a fresh Slice and Dice when you Envenom or Eviscerate. That makes it as if Slice and Dice was attached to those finishers. Combat Rogues won’t have Cut to the Chase, so they’ll have to refresh it themselves.

Then it comes down to two things: what’s your main ability for combo point generation? Mutilate Rogues will need to use Mutilate, which requires you to use Daggers. Combat Rogues will use Sinister Strike to generate combo points. So next it comes down to use your main skill to 5 combo points (or less if Slice and Dice is not up) and then using a finisher.

Finishers all depend on your build. Some people use Rupture in their cycle, in which case you’ll want to keep it up. If you don’t use Rupture or if Rupture is up and not going down anytime soon you’ll want to Envenom if you’re Mutilate spec’d (Envenom at 4 or 5, 4 if you’re at exactly 4 Deadly Poison stacks) or Eviscerate if you’re Combat spec’d.

If you’re Mutilate and level 60, you’ll want to start a bleed effect first (Rupture/Deep Wounds/Rend/etc.) and use Hunger for Blood. Keep it up all the time.

Always use as many cooldowns as possible to keep your DPS up. Killing Spree is a big DPS boost if you use it every time it's up.

Again, this is for non-raiding Rogues or lower level Rogues. If you are raiding it becomes much more complicated, especially when you need to interrupts, do AoE with Fans of Knives, etc. If you're a raiding Rogue you'll find a lot of the basics remain the same, but you'll need to get a lot better at utilizing them and doing other tasks (especially interupts).

What poisons should you use? That’s a can of worms, but the basic advice is main-hand Instant Poison and off-hand Deadly Poison while Combat should use main-hand Wound Poison off-hand Deadly Poison.
    Poisons

Speaking of poisons, here is what each poison does:

* Crippling Poison: Snares the enemy, mostly for PvP.
    * Mind-Numbing Poison: Increases casting time, useful for duels or PvP against casters. Some events in the game benefit from that, some.
    * Instant Poison: One of the main DPS poisons. Instantly deals damage, but procs less than Wound Poison. Only use Instant Poison if you have at least 4 points in Improved Poison. One Attack Power grants .1 damage with Instant Poison. 10 AP = 1 Instant Poison Damage.
    * Deadly Poison: An alright poison for your off-hand. Puts a DoT up that can stack up to five times. Don’t double it.
    * Wound Poison: Deals direct damage and reduces healing by 50%. Great for Combat Rogues or anyone without Improved Poison since it procs way more than Instant Poison does. Gains .04 damage X your Attack Power. So 25 AP = 1 Wound Poison Damage.
    * Anesthetic Poison: Deals no threat, does low damage, and can dispel an Enrage effect. Doesn’t scale with AP. Situational, bosses like Gluth in Naxxramas (WotLK) can have their soft-enrage dispelled. Very, very, situational. You can make a macro to use this with Shiv to get an instant effect (and even equip a secondary weapon so you’re not using this all the time).

All in all, you should only care about three poisons. Instant (if you have Improved Poisons), Deadly, and Wound (if you don’t have Improved Poisons). You may want to double up Wound if your spec calls for it, but a lot of Rogues find that a personal choice based on gear.
    Solo Play

Soloing as a Rogue is fun, so much fun we have a 1-80 Rogue leveling guide available for you. It goes over all of the aspects of soloing as a Rogue.

As a note, it's best to stay combat UNLESS you have access to heirlooms.
    Group Play

In a group there is only one important thing you need to know, “Tricks of the Trade”. As soon as you get it you’ll want to make a macro for using it on the tank. It increases the tanks damage and moves all of your threat from you for the first attack and all actions six seconds afterwards, including the Sap if you’re Sapping or any other attack. This keeps you from getting immediate threat, throws threat at the tank, and increases the tanks damage so you get even more benefit. Remember, the threat movement/dmg buff doesn’t start until you hit something. TotT is also important for using it and then snagging aggro on a caster who is stuck out of the tank’s AoE.

You may also need to Sap. In the modern WoW world it’s not necessary, but you could be in a group where Sap is needed to progress. You simply stealth, distract, and then sap. It’s that easy. Run back real quick. Having TotT (Tricks of the Trade) up will transfer Sap aggro to the tank which, if you fail, will cause everything running his way. That could be good or bad.

You’ll often /focus a tank, so this macro is great for Tricks of the Trade “/cast [target=focus] Tricks of the Trade”.

Methods of PvP

There are several ways to engage in PvP in WoW. They are dueling, battlegrounds, random PvP, arenas, and zone or world PvP. Some methods provide rewards and some don’t. The usual PvP reward is honor points. You get honor points if you kill somebody that is equal to your level, higher level than you, or up to 8 levels lower than you. Now, let’s examine each PvP method real quick.

Dueling: Dueling is strictly a one-on-one fight when you challenge (or are challenged by) another player. You’ve probably already done this since if you stand still for 5 seconds outside a capital city or instance, some bored nutjob will probably constantly challenge you. Sadly, there’s no real reward for dueling except for the satisfaction of killing the bastard.

Battlegrounds: Battlegrounds are instanced areas where the two factions (Horde and Alliance) can duke it out. To play, you have to enter the queue (the line to get in) by talking to a battlemaster in a capital city or at the portal instance entrance (if there is one). Most battlegrounds are of the capture-the-flag or gain points by taking various objectives variety. The number of players per side can vary from 5 to 15, with Alterac Valley allowing up to 40 per side. Playing in battlegrounds can give you Marks of Honor and honor points. You can use these to purchase special gear. You can start playing in battlegrounds at level 10.

Random PvP: This is just when you encounter a person of another faction and they happen to have their PvP flag turned on, which allows you to attack them. However, if you do so, your PvP flag will be turned on and last for 5 minutes, allowing you to be attacked by others. A common trick is for a group to have one person flagged for PvP (the bait) whilst the rest hide nearby. When that person is attacked, the others spring out and kill the attackers. If you see a lone person nonchalantly walking around with their PvP flag up, watch out! It’s probably a trap. You can earn honor points for random PvP.

Arenas: At level 80, you can compete in arena matches in order to gain Arena Points. Lower level characters can do practice matches, but do not receive Arena Points. To play in the arena, you form a team of 2, 3, or 5 players per side. You’re allowed double that number as a roster. For example, if you create a 2 man team, you can have 4 players total on that team, but only 2 can fight at a time. To gain Arena Points, your group must compete in at least 10 fights during the week and your character must have participated in at least 30% of those fights to be eligible. The end result is that you can spend Arena Points on really high quality gear, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort to grind it out.

Zone/World PvP: Depending upon what type of server you play on, you’ll come across whole zones that flag you for PvP when you enter. Some zones have some PvP required quests or objectives that you can partake in (Eastern Plaguelands, Silithus, and Hellfire Peninsula for example). In Northrend, the Wintergrasp zone is different as that the entire zone is one giant battleground that resets every few hours. Wintergrasp is different from other PvP areas as that you can gain ranks through killing enemy combatants or by taking or defending the keep. You can create various weapons and vehicles depending upon your rank. Wintergrasp has up close and personal combat as well as siege combat. Once you achieve the rank of First Lieutenant, you can gain Wintergrasp Marks of Honor by participating in a battle. You can spend those marks on special gear from vendors in Wintergrasp Keep if your faction holds the keep. If your faction controls the keep, then you can also gain Stone Keeper Shards by defeating dungeon bosses or doing daily PvP quests. You can turn in the shards to your faction quartermaster in Wintergrasp Keep for various items, enchantments, and jewelcrafting recipes.

Your role in PvP

Laying a smackdown on a priest!

So, the question is; what is your role as a rogue in PvP? The answer to that is simple; it depends upon the situation. For random or zone PvP, you’ll have the basic function that you normally do as a member of the group or solo. For battlegrounds, that role can differ from being on defense (guarding a flag or objective) or on offense (helping to take a flag or objective). In arenas, your role is determined by your teammates. Normally, your role (in any PvP setting) is to take out the weaker (by hit and armor type) members of the opposing side. In arenas, you might actually be the tanking member of your group! It’s pretty rare, but possible. The end result is that you try to do what you do best: sneak up and unload a world of hurt on the bastard opposing you.

In all PvP, communication with your teammates is vital. Formulate a strategy with clearly defined roles for each member. If you’re expected to hang back and guard a vital point, then do so. Keep your side informed of any changes (such as you being attacked). Arena combat really focuses on a group working well together. Basically, use common sense. Don’t be a hero and try to capture an enemy flag in a battleground and run through a gauntlet of foes to bring it home. You’ll just get yourself killed. Let the tank do it; that’s his job.

PvP Gear

Most high level characters tend to keep 2 sets of equipment. One set of PvE gear and one of PvP. For us rogues, this boils down to a couple of stats that have greater weight in PvP. The first is resilience. Resilience reduces the chances of you receiving a critical strike or critical spell effect. In addition, it reduces the damage taken from criticals and damage over time spells. The only way you can increase resilience is through gear, enchantments, gems, flasks, or elixirs. You start with zero resilience. Normally, resilience is only found on level 60+ gear or items as that it was introduced in the Burning Crusade expansion. Therefore, don’t worry about it if you’re lower level and happily ganking other players.

The second stat is stamina. While stamina was nice in PvE gear, it is vital in PvP gear. When you’re raiding in a large group, the tank was normally the one being beat up on. In PvP, there’s only you. A tank can’t force a player to target him and ignore you. Therefore, you’ll need to be able to take some shots, which requires you to have more health. You’ll want to have as much stamina as you can get your grubby little hands on.

A useful item in PvP is poison. Normally, your poison types depend upon your spec, but in PvP, crippling poison is extremely useful. A lot of your foes will try to kite you. That is, they’ll keep running away from you trying to keep you out of melee range, but within their ranged attack range. Their hope is that while you can’t hit them, they’ll be able to drop you with ranged attacks. A nice crippling poison on your off-hand will keep them from getting away from you.

PvP Rewards

As stated earlier in the article, participating in PvP can give you some nice rewards (besides the satisfaction of disposing of those pathetic losers who dared to think they could be better than you!). You can gain some really good gear and enchantments by turning in honor points, Arena Points, or Marks of Honor. Listed below is a sampling of what you can get.

* Savage Gladiator’s Leather Tunic
    * Deadly Gladiator’s Leather Helm
    * Titan-forged Leather Helm of Triumph
    * Brutal Gladiator’s Leather Legguards
    * Hateful Gladiator’s Band of Triumph
    * Anvil of Titans
    * Deadly Gladiator’s Shiv

All in all, playing PvP can be extremely rewarding, but it does present some challenges. Fighting another player is vastly different from fighting a normal mob, and each class has a myriad of abilities that will take some time getting used to. Your attack sequence will probably be different from what you normally use and you’ll use a lot more of your abilities than the norm. However, there’s nothing like the rush of being able to sneak up and take out another player, knowing that his response could be as unpredictable as the player himself.
    Kalopae
    Kalopae
    Corporal/Grunt
    Corporal/Grunt

Character sheet

Post by Kalopae Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:56 am

DeathKnight Guide made by Kaliopae.

Death Knight Overview

* Hybrid Tank/DPS class. Can do DPS or tank with ease.
    * Uses a variety of melee abilities and close combat spells to fight. Unique playstyle.
    * Hero class that's unlocked whenever you get one character to level 55.

Death Knight Strengths

* Starts at level 55 with a full set of gear and can earn a complete rare (blue) set of gear by the time they are 57.
    * Level extremely fast through the first Death Knight zone and quest chain and are re-leased into the Outlands where they continue to level quickly until the mid-sixties.
    * Very self reliant when soloing through Blood abilities that heal themselves as they deal damage.
    * Runes and Runic energy recharge quickly, meaning that you can adventure almost non-stop.
    * Death Knights are the best tank in the game when fighting casters with various spell-damage reduction and avoidance abilities.
    * Can switch between tanking and damage dealing very easily, and can do both decently in a single talent build.

Death Knight Weaknesses

* In much the same way as Druids tank without a shield, so do Death Knights. This makes them take damage in a more erratic manner than Warriors or Paladins as they are subject to occasional strings of large unmitigated hits.
    * Death Knights are a very complicated class to play well. One must manage runes, runic power and cooldowns to play them well and stay alive. When they have none of these left they are as good as dead.

Basic Stats

Lets Start out by looking at the basic stats and see which is best for each type of Death Knight. For a breakdown of what the stats provide check back to the Death Knight Basics page. Remember though that these are only your basic stats – Strength, Stamina, Intellect, Agility, and Spirit, not your advanced stats. The next section will cover your advanced stats and they are at least as important as the basics, if not more so.

DPS – As a DPS Death Knight your main goal is to get as much Strength as possible since it allows you to cause the most damage. Beyond the stats that come on the gear that bring you the most Strength, don’t even worry about other stats.

Tank – As a Tanking Death Knight your main stat will be Stamina to increase your health pool. Strength is also a solid stat since it will up your damage output and therefore your threat, but it is a distant second from Stamina.
    Advanced Stats

The advanced stats in WoW are all the extra things past what would be considered normal stats in most RPG’s. These advanced stats include things like your critical hit chance, defense score, dodge chance and more. These stats are critical to your character and must be watched closely to ensure you are getting the right ones.

DPS – Death Knights that choose to focus on damaging their opponents require several bonus stats. While leveling you should just focus on bonuses to Critical Hit, the rest of your focus is still on Strength. Once you have reached max level then you should also focus on getting enough Hit and Expertise to reach their caps. Armor penetration is also an important stat but since it is known to be too good, Blizzard has already started to nerf it and will continue to in the future. How much effort you put into obtaining it is up to you, just be forewarned it will change. As of patch 3.2 Armor Penetration is still a top notch stat for Blood specced DPS Death Knights.

Tank – Tanking Death Knights need to worry primarily about Defense until they reach the relevant cap, which is 540 for level 80 raids. Beyond that they also need to focus on Hit, Expertise, Dodge and Parry. While many Tanks are tempted to only focus on Stamina to give them as big a health pool as possible, the better method is to balance Stamina with a good bit of avoidance, granted from your Dodge and Parry.
    Gems

Now that you understand the best stats for each of your builds, gems should be pretty easy to understand as well. You should always gem for your most important basic or advanced stat. Ideally every gem will be the same other than your meta gem in your helm and enough other gems to meet its requirement. This means that for most slots you will not be matching the slot colour. This is important to understand, since many players think that they must follow the slot colour and therefore hurt themselves by not getting the biggest benefit possible.

Damage – You should be gemming and enchanting for hit and expertise until you reach the caps and then focus on Strength. If you are still leveling just focus on Strength. The best meta gem is a Chaotic Skyflare Diamond since it provides crit and a causes all critical hits to cause more damage.

Tanking – You should gem and enchant for Defense until you are defense capped and then for Stamina. For Defense this means either yellow “Thick …” gems or green “Enduring …” gems until you are capped. When focusing on Stamina it will be “Solid …” gems. As a Tanking Death Knight the best meta gem is an Austere Earthsiege Diamond which provides Stamina and increases your armour value.
    Enchants

Enchants are much the same as gems. Focus on the stats that are best for the type of Death Knight that you play and you should be good.

A very important thing to remember with both gems and enchants is that each time you get a new piece of gear your balance will change. For example: As a Tanking Death Knight that had 540 Defense and replaced a piece of gear it is possible that the new piece has much more stamina and dodge, but less Defense. Therefore you may need to re-gem or re-enchant a different piece to make up for the change. This is critical for any spec and you should remember to look all the time and see where all your stats are currently.

This chart provides some suggestions as to which enchant is good for which slot based on your talent build.

Slot

DPS Builds

Tank Builds

Head

Arcanum of Torment (50 Attack Power and 20 Crit) – Revered with the Knights of the Ebon Blade

Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector (37 Stamina and 20 Defense) – Revered with the Argent Crusade

Shoulder

Inscription of the Axe – Sons of Hodir

Inscription of the Pinnacle – Sons of Hodir

Chest

+10 to all Stats

+22 Defense

Cloak

+50 Attack Power

+16 Defense
    or
    +16 Agility

Gloves

+20 Hit
    or
    +44 Attack Power

+10 Parry and 2% Threat

Belt

Belt Buckle with appropriate Gem

Belt Buckle with appropriate Gem

Legs

+75 Attack Power and +22 Crit

+55 Stamina and +22 Agility

Boots

+12 Hit and Crit

+22 Stamina

Weapon

Rune of the Fallen Crusader

Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle
    or
    Rune of Sword Shattering
    Glyphs

Glyphs are found in two different types, Major and Minor. Once you reach max level you can have 3 of each type. As a Death Knight the three major Glyphs that are best for you vary depending on your chosen role and your talent spec.

DPS – As a DPS Death Knight there are several options available to you. If you are Unholy Glyph of the Ghoul is an extremely strong Glyph since your ghoul will be out all the time. Even for non-unholy Death Knights though it is still a decent choice. Depending on your build you will take Obliterate (Frost), Scourge Strike (Unholy) or Death Strike (Blood). To round out your three slots Glyph of Dark Death is a glyph that fits in no mater the DPS build but is best with Blood due to the extra free Death Coils. The Death and Decay Glyph isn’t bad either if you are worried about putting out more AOE damage, but it isn’t as good as the others.

Tank – Tanking Death Knights have a few options as well. A fairly standard mix is Icebound Fortitude, Unbreakable Armor, and Death and Decay. Icebound Fortitude ensures you are able to use the ability when you need it. Unbreakable Armor provides a very solid increase in damage mitigation. Death and Decay provides extra threat, especially when there are groups of creatures to tank. Bone Shield for extra charges or Death Strike for extra damage and threat are also valid options, most stick with the initial three though.

Minor Glyphs

There are only three minor glyphs that most players even look at, so those should be the three you take. Horn of Winter allows your horn to stay active for an additional minute every time you use it, which saves a GCD in combat. Raise Dead saves you a reagent when you summon your ghoul. Lastly Pestilence increases the distance that pestilence affects enemies. All very solid little buffs, the rest of the minors do not compete.

Talent Builds

As a Death Knight in PvP you are there to do damage. This means that no mater which tree you focus on, you will be looking to increase your damage output and your survivability.

Blood 48/14/9 – This is a solid PvP build that focuses on damage output and healing ability. A blood build is a very popular PvP build since you can heal a significant amount of health back using Death Strike. This allows you to stay alive in the fight much longer than you normally would be able to, all while still causing big damage. This build excels at hunting down opponents one on one due to its self sustenance.

Unholy 19/0/52 – This build attempts to do as much AoE damage as possible to spread the love, er, well spread the diseases and damage at least. While unholy does not do as much single target damage as a blood build, it puts out more damage overall. This is through its diseases and AoE damage. In crowded battlegrounds this is a solid option.

Frost 0/60/10 – This build is about damage and control. Frost builds tend to start slow, but have a lot of crowd control ability once they start to generate runic power. They make excellent are protectors in battlegrounds, protecting a flag or base until additional help gets there.

Presences

Next, let’s look at Death Knight presences to see which should be used while in PvP combat. It is important to remember that each presence has its use, but that you can and should switch between them. A well timed switch can save your life, or help finish off an opponent.

Blood – This is a solid choice when you are in battle grounds for PvP since it provides 15% extra damage and some healing. If you take the Blood Aura talent you can provide that same healing benefit to everyone in your group, which makes it worth while in battlegrounds but only so-so in small scale arena combat.

Unholy – This is the PvP presence to use other than specific circumstances. It allows you to move faster, attack faster and use more special abilities due to dropping your GCD (Global Cooldown) from 1.5 seconds to 1 second. This presence is often underrated since your attacks do not hit for the same big numbers that they do with blood active, however you hit so much faster, and can use more abilities when you need them, that it really is the one you should use when PvPing.

Frost – Frost is the tanking presence and as such is not used a whole lot in PvP. However since it provides additional health and armor on demand it can be a life saver when you are being focused on. Keep it in mind and switch to it when you are being attacked if you need that extra little bit of survivability.

Key Abilities

As a Death Knight you have a plethora of useful abilities for all situations. This is not a complete list by any means, it is a list of just some of the useful abilities and when you should use them.

Icebound Fortitude – This is a PvE tanking ability, however it is also one of the best PvP abilities out there. It reduces all incoming damage for 12 seconds and makes you immune to stun effects for the same time period. This ensures that you can survive being the focus of attacks while your healers switch, or when a rogue tries to stun lock you.

Bone Shield – Bone shield offers you mitigation on incoming damage, and buffs your outgoing damage while charges are still up. This is a great Unholy talent that any player with point in Unholy should grab.

Diseases – Your diseases should be up on most targets as your larger strikes (Obliterate and Scourge Strike) gain damage from having them up. Even more important is the healing that they provide back to you when you land a Death Strike. Both of those effects are in addition to Icy Touch’s ability to slow down an opponent’s attacks and Plague Strike causing damage over time to them.

Death Strike – This is one of your key PvP attacks as long as you have diseases up on your target. Being able to heal as you do damage, for a non-healing class, is huge. Using this ability any time you can will add to your longevity in a battleground immensely.

Death & Decay is great when there are multi enemies nearby

Death and Decay - Death & Decay is your primary AoE damage ability. It causes a decent amount of damage over time to anyone in its target area. This is a great ability to use around objectives or in confined spaces.

Obliterate / Annihilation – Obliterate is a great attack, and almost all blood builds use it as a primary attack. However since it uses up the diseases placed on a target, you really need to team it up with annihilation from the Frost tree so that it leaves the diseases in place.

Rune Tap – Once you get this talent and its improved version it really helps heal and keep you alive any time you need. 20% of your health is more than enough to keep you alive for that few seconds until your runes cooldown so you can get diseases up on a target and attack with Deathstrike to gain even more health back.

Lichborne – This is an amazing talent based ability that lets you out all CC and makes you immune to further CC for 15 seconds. It’s like having a second, better, PvP trinket. Even better, while under its effects you count as undead, which means you can heal yourself with Deathcoil.

Gearing for PvP

One of the things that many players new to PvP combat do not consider is the difference in gear required. Many players jump straight from PvE to PvP without even considering their gear. The fact however is that just like in PvE, gear makes a huge difference.

In PvE as a Death Knight you will either be focusing on +hit and strength as a DPS player or defence, stamina and mitigation as a tank. In PvP your focus shifts dramatically and your primary stats become resilience and stamina. In PvP to be able to do damage you need to be alive, and since there are no tanks in PvP and players will focus on whoever appears the most threatening (which we will attempt to be) you need to survive long enough to do damage.

When you are first starting out there are several great options available to you. The first is the entire savage saronite set that Blacksmiths can craft for you and that you can wear starting at level 78. This set includes a helm, shoulders, chest, wrist, hands, waist, legs and boots and provides a very solid amount of resilience at 360 for the complete set along with almost 560 stamina, a ton of strength, and +crit.

If you have run any instances while your faction has controlled Wintergrasp you probably have a pile of Wintergrasp marks kicking around. There are a few nice pieces you can buy from the Wintergrasp vendor that will give you a nice start as well. If you venture into Wintergrasp and participate in some battles, you can also buy the Titan-forged helm and boots, which are pretty big upgrades from anything you will be coming in with.

Once you start PvPing you will earn honour, battleground badges, arena points, arena ranking, and Wintergrasp tokens (all depending on what you chose to do). All these can be spent at their specific vendors to obtain even better PvP gear. In addition you can collect the PvE heroic tokens to turn in for several nice PvP gear choices.

Basic PvP tactics

Deathgrip FTW – One of your key abilities as described above is deathgrip. While it is useful even when just you are there to DPS, it is amazing when you are with a group or players. Almost any class can be taken down quickly in PvP when focused on by several players, however they have a nasty habit of trying to run away, or being protected by other players. As a Death Knight you can select the target for your team, and pull them into your midst. Once there, everyone focuses on them and CC’s them in place, ensuring that they quickly meet their maker (or at least become familiar with the battleground re-spawn process), also you can help if you...

Remember to slow enemies down with Chains of Ice

Remember Chains of Ice – Many Death Knights get so tied up in doing damage that they forget control. Even though we do not have a long term form of CC, chains of ice can be cast repetitively to slow an opponent. USE IT! Once you have someone close to you and your allies, keep that player slowed and in range.

AoE tactics – Something to remember is that sometimes it is more important to do mass AoE damage than focus on a single target. Many times in battlegrounds healers will focus on a single target, as DPS changes from one to another. To counter this when there are 3+ players in an area start throwing around AoE attacks. This includes Death & Decay, diseases spread by pestilence, Blood Boil, Corpse Explosion, and Unholy Blight. When there are large numbers of players all taking damage it is much harder to a healer to keep everyone at full, and it is likely enemy players will start to get bursted down between the heals that do come to each player.

One very cool AoE ability that Unholy players have in their bag of tricks is pulling off an Army of the Dead just to generate corpses when they die in a packed area. Once they die, use them as ammunition for your corpse explosion.

Caster Shutdown (or how to kill a healer!) – Casters are your prime victims, make sure you remember that. Between your anti-magic zone, strangulate, mind freeze and arcane torrent (if you’re a Blood Elf) there is little a caster can do once you focus on them. They can not even run away since you can death grip them back and slow them with chains of ice. This means that while everyone else in a PvP should be focusing on healers, you MUST be focusing on healers and casters. It is very easy for a Death Knight to focus on, shut down, and kill any healer or caster. Once the healers in an area are dead, the DPS players will quickly fall as well.

For gearing up, Death Knights are different from the other classes due to the fact that they start at level 55 upon character creation. In addition, they start the game fully equipped with green quality gear. Better yet, by completing their starting zone quests, they earn an even better set of rare (blue) gear. This second set of gear lasts well into a Death Knight’s leveling. As a result there is very little that you will end up replacing for the first 5-10 levels as a Death Knight. What do you want to look for in gear once you do get past the first hand full of levels? Let’s take a look.

Gear and its stats that are important for a Death Knight really rely on what talent spec you are using. Are you specced to tank and absorb damage and generate threat or are you trying to become the next destroyer of worlds, demolishing everything around you? The Death Knight class does both well, but only if you are geared for it, so let’s look at each separately.

DPS Gear

Tanking not your thing? No problem, Death Knights kick out enough DPS to make almost any other class quake in their boots. The stats that you require to do damage are vastly different than what you need to tank. This means a whole different set of gear. The most important stats on your damage gear are Hit, Strength, Attack Power, Critical Hit, and Expertise.

While you should be looking primarily at plate gear as a Death Knight, be open to mail armour if it has significant stat upgrades from your current plate gear. The goal as a DPS Death Knight is to cause enough damage to kill your opponent first. While it’s nice to be able to take a few hits, if you get a big enough damage output increase it's worth sacrificing some survivability for it.

Tanking Gear

As a Death Knight tank, your goal is to piss everything off around you enough that they focus on you, and not your allies. To do this, you need to cause enough damage, and be able to absorb or avoid enough of the incoming attacks while staying alive. The most important stats on gear while tanking are Stamina, Strength, Defense, Expertise, Dodge, Parry, and Armour value.

As a Death Knight tank you do not use a shield, so your health, avoidance (Dodge and Parry), and mitigation (damage reduction due to armour value) are all critically important. Therefore staying in plate armour is really your only choice, so never choose any other armour over plate no matter what the stats.

PvP Gear

In PvP, combat is about two things: burst damage output and survivability. Most Death Knights will enter PvP combat focusing on burst damage. This means that your gear will need to focus on Strength and Critical Hit. However, since you need to survive as well you should focus on Stamina and Resilience.

Finding the right balance is a tricky affair in PvP as the two sets of stats are on opposite ends of the spectrum. As you gear up for survivability your burst damage capability goes down; as you gear for more damage output your survivability goes down. Finding the balance will take time and depend on your situation and play style.

Trinket Choice

As a Death Knight your choice of trinket again depends on your talent build. For DPS builds you should get trinkets that add Strength or Attack Power. These stats will up your damage output the most. For Tanking builds, the trinket slot is a great place to pick up some extra stamina, defense or avoidance (dodge or parry).

Weapon Choice

Death Knights can choose to use many different weapons. These range from one and two handed swords, maces, and axes, and polearms. A Death Knight, even when tanking, is looking for the biggest, meanest beat stick around. This means picking up the hardest hitting two handed weapon around.

While it is possible for a Death Knight to dual-wield single handed weapons, it is not their forte and should really be avoided. After all, if you wanted to dual-wield, you should have rolled a Warrior, Rogue, or Shaman.

With weapons, the most critical stats are the damage and speed. Obviously the other stat bonuses come into play on a weapon, but they are secondary considerations. The priority on weapons goes first to the base damage they cause. This means that slow weapons are better since they cause more damage per hit. Secondly, you want to look for a weapon with Strength or Attack Power, and only after that, Hit or Critical Hit rating.

Death Knights tank using two-handed weapons and all the same choices apply to choosing a weapon with which to tank. However, stamina becomes a high priority on the list of stats you are looking for when you are gearing to be a tank.

Where and What to Collect for Gear as you Level

There are some pretty easy ways to get and collect gear as you level. This is much simpler than other classes since you have far fewer levels to worry about. Also, you really do not need to worry about gear for about the first 10 levels.

Level DPS Builds Tanking Builds
    55-64

* Keep your starting gear.

* Keep your starting gear.

65-74

* Replace with green and blue quality items that you gain from questing and drops that have high Strength, Hit, and Critical Hit.
    * Acquire the Spiked Cobalt armor set from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.

* Replace with green and blue quality items that you gain from questing and drops that have high Stamina and Defense.
    * Acquire the crafted Cobalt armor set from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.

75-79

* Collect blue quality items from quest rewards and instances that have high Strength, Hit, and Critical Hit.
    * Acquire the spiked saronite armor set from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.

* Collect blue quality items from quest rewards and instances that have high Stamina and Defense.
    * Acquire the tempered saronite armor set from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.

* Collect DPS specific blue and purple quality gear from level 80 instances or raids.
    * Acquire the Spiked Titansteel armor pieces from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.
    * Collect reputation based DPS items from the various factions in Northrend. Your priorities should be Knights of the Ebon Blade, Argent Crusade, and the Sons of Hodir.
    * Collect Heroic or Valorous badges from Heroic Instances or Raids to purchase items.

* Collect tanking specific blue and purple quality gear from level 80 instances or raids.
    * Acquire the Daunting, and Tempered Titansteel armor pieces from a Blacksmith or the Auction house.
    * Collect reputation based tanking items from the various factions in Northrend. Your priorities should be Wyrmrest Accord, Argent Crusade, and the Sons of Hodir,
    * Collect Heroic or Valorous badges from Heroic Instances or Raids to purchase items.

What the Stats Provide

The stats below provide benefits to your character, but what are they? Depending on the exact spec you are using, they will affect you slightly differently, but here are the basics.

Strength – Strength adds to your attack power, increasing your damage output.
    Attack Power – Increases your damage output.
    Stamina – Increases your health.
    Hit – Lowers your chance of missing an enemy.
    Critical Hit – Increases your chance of scoring a critical hit on your opponent.
    Expertise – Lowers the chance your opponent will dodge or parry your attacks.
    Defense – Reduces the chance you will be hit or critically hit in combat.
    Dodge – Increases the chance you will dodge an attack, completely ignoring the incoming damage.
    Parry – Increases the chance you will parry an attack, completely ignoring the incoming damage and gain a speed increase on your next attack.

Defining Abilities

Besides presences, runes, runic power and everything else that comes with being a Death Knight, there are some pretty key abilities that define a Death Knight. These abilities are things that you really need to focus on learning to do and maximize to be an effective Death Knight.
    Death Grip

This is an extremely useful ability, mainly used when tanking as a backup taunt when a creature gets away, or as a positional pulling ability. However, it is also extremely useful for off tanks or even when playing as DPS. This is because whenever a target gets away from a tank, it is almost always better for it to be attacking you than almost anyone else. You can quickly switch to frost presence to gain extra armour and health and then pull the creature to you to save the healer or cloth wearer that pulled aggro. After all you can take more hits than a clothy and are more expendable than a healer .
    Chains of Ice

Chains of Ice is another great tanking ability that has a lot of additional utility going for it. It is commonly used by PVP players to slow down enemies, but should also be mastered by DPS players. If for some reason you can not grab aggro from something you can always slow it down so that it takes longer to go after the healers or clothies.
    Minions

This is one area that many Death Knights take for granted. Depending on your talent build you can have various different pets or minions. They can include gargoyles, ghouls, blood worms, magic swords and even other players. Many players just randomly use these abilities or worse yet, ignore them completely. As a Death Knight you need to learn to maximize their usefulness.

The basics to doing so are ensuring that you will get maximum effect from them by not using them just before fears or AoEs in combat. When fighting a boss with these types of abilities wait until after they are used to trigger your pets. Another thing to keep in mind is using them just before heroism/bloodlust is used in a raid. Lastly, use them often. Any time they are not on cooldown they should be active, unless you are waiting on timing for better benefit.
    Solo Play

When playing the game solo, you really only have 2 options. Play as Unholy for more DPS and a permanent pet, or play as Blood for self healing and therefore more survivability. Both work quite well for leveling and solo play, but then even frost does. Most players find that Blood is the easiest to level with and play solo though due to the non-stop self healing nature of the talent tree.

For complete information on the best way to level and solo play check out our Death Knight Leveling guide, it provides all the details.
    Mixing it up in PvP

If PvP is your thing Death Knights make a very strong choice for both Battlegrounds and Arenas. They are able to slaughter the enemy mercilessly while self healing damage. Add in various pets, enemy control, reduced damage, and all their other abilities and you have a real beast in PvP. The best place to find out more is to check out the PvP Death Knight Primer Guide. It has the basics on what a Death Knight can do in PvP and a little about the different areas to explore.
    Playing a Death Knight in a Group

Your role in a group as a Death Knight really depends on what you choose to do, either DPS or Tank. Death Knights are very different from many other classes in that each of their talent trees can allow you to fulfil either of their roles quite well. This means you can provide viable DPS as Blood, Unholy, or even Frost. The same applies to tanking. Which is the current "best" at each role changes from patch to patch as talents and abilities are modified and tweaked.

Tanking - Tanking as a Death Knight involves a number of things. The first and most significant one is making sure you are in frost presence so that you have extra armor, health and generate additional threat. Beyond that a lot depends on what you are Tanking; a single boss or a group of creatures.

When tanking multiple creatures you need to use your various AoE abilities like Death and Decay, Diseases, Plague, Howling Blast and others to hold aggro on as many enemies as possible. While AoE tanking it is also important to be sure you have threat on all targets and potentially switch between them often. You are not worried about any particular target other than the one that DPS is working on, if they are single targeting, but instead on all at once.

When tanking a single hard hitting boss, you need to worry more about doing big hits and damage to maintain threat against them. This means more large attacks like Death Strike and Rune Strike, in addition to keeping your diseases active at all times.

Death Knight tanks also have a huge number of cooldowns and abilities to help mitigate or avoid incoming damage. They have taunts to pull enemies back, a slowing effect to keep them near, and several anti-magic abilities to keep casters under control. Learning to master all of this will take time and effort.

DPS - Since all three talent trees can provide respectable DPS it is hard to get very specific here. In general though all Death Knights should learn to use two different rotations, one for single targets and one for groups of four or more targets. Both rotations in fact have two rotations that make up their full rotation. Each has a rotation that applies diseases and prepares for DPS, and then a larger DPS phase. Both phases focus on burning all your runes and then your runic power before starting again on the second bigger DPS phase that does not need to apply the diseases again. Once you have completed your second rotation you go back to the disease phase.

Against groups of enemies you should allow the tank to get aggro and then start using all of your AoE abilities. This will involve your death and decay, diseases, pestilence, corpse explosions and others. Make sure though that as soon as the enemy count drops below four you revert to your single target rotation since you will get higher numbers with that.

When fighting a single enemy or a boss, you essential want to ensure diseases are up and then use your big attacks until they expire, then reapply the diseases and continue the rotation. You can find more detailed rotation instructions in the Death Knight Leveling section.
    Knowing When to Switch Roles

This is another very often overlooked skill that truly separates the good players from the bad. Many normal players get focused just on what they are doing and lose track of what else is going on. As a multi-purpose class you can not afford to do that, if you want to be great as a group PvE player. There are times you need to be able to switch from what you are doing to do something else. For example, even though you may be in a group as DPS, realizing that one of the tanks went down and switching into Frost spec and attempting to hold a boss until the tank can get battle rezzed can make all the difference in a fight. Sure you may die, but holding the boss off of a healer for even a few seconds allows time to get the other tank up, healed and rebuffed, potentially preventing a full wipe.

While these short quick changes are great and helpful, for longer changes it may mean carrying gear for different purposes and being skilled at using it. For instance many Death Knight tanks carry full DPS gear sets for raids, so that when they are at a fight that requires less tanks than they have in the group they can switch gear and help DPS. For these longer term switches you should have a secondary talent build ready to go.

Sorry for Double Post. I am still working on my guides I am creating. I might publish them to the public when I complete my guides. For right now, these are my classes I have completed the guides for. I am almost done with the Hunter and Paladin Guides. STay tunned peoplez! Kalopae Out!
    Hiler
    Hiler
    Knight/Stone Guard
    Knight/Stone Guard

Character sheet

Post by Hiler Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 am

Need Frost DK DPS Dual wield Rotation Smile thanks
    Kalopae
    Kalopae
    Corporal/Grunt
    Corporal/Grunt

Character sheet

Post by Kalopae Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:16 am

**LONG POST**
    Spoiler:

Thank you for your great contribution and I can tell you put a lot of time into it, but for something this long please put it in a spoiler box next time. Smile

Thanks

**Put it in a spoiler box**

~Saveon
    Stianso91
    Stianso91
    Knight/Stone Guard
    Knight/Stone Guard

Character sheet

Post by Stianso91 Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:23 am

Jesus Christ!
    lintha
    lintha

Character sheet

Post by lintha Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:43 am

Hiler wrote:Need Frost DK DPS Dual wield Rotation Smile thanks
    This guide I found on the net is really good for frost dps. To me, I find dps'ing as a frost dk is really fun since my main on retail is a DK and hes frost DPS Razz. Anyway, heres the link, http://killingemslowly.blogspot.com/2009/12/33-dk-frost-dps-methodology.html

Oh and while im posting this, Marksman hunter is now good dps for PvE since patch 3.3.3 (not sure about pvp, i dont do much pvp Razz) http://dominateyourserver.com/2010/01/12/highest-dps-talents-hunter-build-for-patch-3-3/
    Hiler
    Hiler
    Knight/Stone Guard
    Knight/Stone Guard

Character sheet

Post by Hiler Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:02 am

thanks Smile

Kalopae u missed something on ur healing info (that pala). You need more Haste rating for healing not Critical strike Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content